I am a Teaching Associate Professor in the Department of Mathematics at NCSU and the coordinator for Distance Education in the Mathematics department.
- 2020-present, Teaching Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, NCSU
- 2016-2020, Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, NCSU
- Summer 2016, Instructor for Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP)
- 2014-2016, MathCEP Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Mathematics, University of Minnesota
Part of my postdoctoral teaching experience including teaching courses and mentoring students on projects with the University of Minnesota Talented Youth Mathematics Program (UMTYMP)
- 2014, Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Advisor: Dr. Christopher K.R.T. Jones
Thesis: The geometry of radial states in nonlinear elliptic problems
- 2009, B.S. in Mathematics/B.A. in French (with highest distinction), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
My education included a full year at Université de Montpellier III in France, and a semester in Kenya and Tanzania. I also spent a summer at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution as a Geophysical Fluid Dynamics fellow.
- DELTA Faculty Fellow, NCSU (2021-2022, 2022-2023)
- Thank a Teacher Award, NCSU (2021, 2022)
- John Franke Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, NCSU Department of Mathematics (2021)
- Certificate of Reflective Teaching, NCSU (2020)
- The Linker Award for excellence in teaching by a graduate student, UNC-Chapel Hill (2014)
- WHOI Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Fellow, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (2012)
- The Alfred Brauer Award for Algebra and Number Theory, UNC-Chapel Hill Department of Mathematics (2009)
- Chancellor’s Award (Jacques Hardré Prize), UNC-Chapel Hill (2009)
Courses at NCSU
MA 116: Introduction to Scientific Programming (MATLAB)
MA 242: Multivariable Calculus
MA 305: Introductory Linear Algebra and Matrices
MA 341: Applied Differential Equations I
MA 425: Mathematical Analysis I
MA 426: Mathematical Analysis II
MA 501: Advanced Mathematics for Engineers & Scientists I (PDEs)
MA 507: Survey of Real Analysis
MA 510: Selected Topics In Mathematics For Secondary Teachers (Modeling)
MA 511: Advanced Calculus I
MA 523: Linear Transformations and Matrix Theory
- As a postdoctoral fellow at UMN: Calculus I, Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations with Applications
- As a graduate instructor at UNC (all courses listed are as primary instructor of record, not as a TA): College Algebra, Selected Topics in Mathematics, Calculus I, Calculus II, Multivariable Calculus III, Advanced Calculus/Real Analysis
- Duke University TIP: Topology
- B. Maultsby, Settling a Tomoe-sen: Wresting with chip firing, MAA Math Horizons, 31(1), September 2023. DOI: 10.1080/10724117.2023.2224671.
- C.K.R.T. Jones and B. Maultsby, A dynamical approach to phytoplankton blooms, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, 37(2): 859-878, November 2016. DOI: 10.3934/dcds.2017035
- B. Maultsby, Uniqueness of solutions to singular -Laplacian equations with subcritical nonlinearity, Advances in Nonlinear Analysis, 6.1 (2016): 37-59. DOI: 10.1515/anona-2015-0161
- The Geometry of Radial States in Nonlinear Elliptic Problems, Ph.D. Thesis (2014).
- B. Maultsby, 2:1 spatial resonance in Langmuir circulation, Proceedings of the 2012 Program in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics (2012), 334-361.